n 1925 Frederick J. F. Streetly came to Trinidad from England and
though he served the Anglican Church in various parishes for many
years in both Trinidad and Tobago, he was a true pioneer in helping to
establish local centres of technical education.
At his first post in Tobago, at the church of St. Patrick at Mount
Pleasant, he built the Rectory as well as the school, showing his
engineering side and talents. But it was only when Reverend Streetly
came toTrinidad in 1932 that his deep love for engineering shone brightly.
He turned his attention to the Board of Industrial Training which had
been set up in 1906 but was inactive. At St. Agnes’ Church in St. James
as its Parish Priest, whose church he later rebuilt, he became involved
in the Board’s work as an Instructor in Mechanical Engineering. He was
responsible for the introduction of full-time education to young people
in technical subjects.
Later, when he was transferred to San Fernando to the St. Paul’s
Anglican Church, he persuaded the Board of Industrial Training to set
up the Junior Technical School in January 1943, the start of organised
technical education in Trinidad and Tobago. On setting up the school he
had arranged with the authorities of Trinidad Leaseholds Limited, the
Company who owned the refinery at Pointe-a-Pierre, to employ the boys
leaving his school as apprentices, enabling them to enter the workshops
of the oil refinery and pursue the various crafts in engineering.
By 1955, the accommodation offered had become inadequate and
a new school, the San Fernando Technical Institute, was built at Les
• 1980 F.J.F. Streetly medal for Engineering to Graduates at UWI
HAROLD F. SWANN
e was the Principal of the Naparima Teachers’ Training College
as well as the founder and first principal of Naparima College. He
started Hillview College in 1955.